top of page

History of Florham Park


The area now known as Florham Park was settled in the early 1700s. The incorporation process to create “Florham Park” began in 1898 by Dr. Leslie Ward and Florence and Hamilton Twombly who were advised to create a Borough form of government. The millionaire founders forged the name “Florham Park” from the names of their estates - Florence and Hamilton Twombly became “Florham” and Dr. Ward’s estate was known as “Brooklake Park”. The town was officially incorporated by Governor Foster Voorhees on March 9, 1899.


That year, the Twomblys opened their estate to the residents of the new town to celebrate the 4th of July. There was food, fireworks, and lollipops. 


Florham Park gradually grew from a rural farming community to a suburb throughout the first half of the twentieth century. School children attended the Little Red Schoolhouse and the 1914 School until Ridgedale was built in the 1930s. Population growth occurred in the 1920s when part of Dr. Ward’s former estate was sold and a new neighborhood constructed. Then again, the population grew following the GI Bill in the 1950s. In the early 2000s, the community also expanded with housing developments on Passaic Avenue. 


Florham Park residents have built a strong tradition of volunteerism and community spirit. Residents come together to host community events, coach sports teams, serve in volunteer leadership positions, and to protect and serve one another.

bottom of page